Do It Yourself Orienteering
Updated 26th Dec 2023
Please follow any COVID Guidelines for outdoor activities
- Always please make sure you use the most up to date map for any permanent course that you use. Changes often occur to both maps and courses. Controls on old maps may no longer exist and out of bounds areas change
- LOCATION MAP: see where all the courses are on Google Maps
- Click this link if you want to explore Map Run (ie orienteering using a smart phone)
Several permanent orienteering courses, suitable for schools, families ,pairs and individuals, have been set up at:
- Adelaide Hills 4WD Park near Callington New location 26th Dec 2023 Also on Maprun with extra courses
- Belair National Park Start at Adventure Playground
- Belair National Park. Start at Gums Oval
- Blue Gum Park/ Kurangga Re-Openened 18th Aug 2023. New courses and updated map.
- Carisbrooke Park Start at southern car park. Main North Road.
- Happy Valley New location June 2023
- Hawthorndene Reserve
- Hazelwood Park Burnside map updated 6th Dec 2022
- Fox Creek: Thomas Hill.closed at present due to Cudlee Creek fires
- Kuitpo Forest: Christmas Hill moderate course updated 25th Sept 2022
- Kuitpo Forest: The Eucalypts Minor map updates 14th Dec 2023
- Kuitpo Forest: Kuitpo Headquarters 19th Oct 2021 New courses. Minor map updates 14th Dec 2023
- Kuitpo Forest: Woodcutters Cottage & Tinjella Hut (restricted to groups who have booked Woodcutter's Cottage, Tinjella Hut or Jack's Paddock) Course changes 14th Dec 2023
- Marion Heritage Walk New 13th Nov 2023 Start and Finish at eastern end of Church Cres. Marion
- Melrose. Start at Showgrounds Map & Courses updated 2020
- Melrose. Start at Notice Board on Main Street opposite Over the Edge Bike Shop. Courses updated 1st April 2022
- Mt Crawford Forest: Chalks
- North Adelaide 23rd Oct 2021 New courses and map updated 16th Nov 2021
- Oaklands Wetland uodated 12th Dec 2022 (these are also available as MapRun courses - see here)
- Para Wirra Recreation Park. Start at Helipad Map update 18th Aug 2022
- Paringa Paddocks Renmark
- Port Lincoln: Brinkworth Reserve
- Rawnsley Park Station New location 29th Sept 2020 Restricted to people staying at Rawnsley Park Station.
- Shepherds Hill Recreation Park
- St Peter's River Park on the Torrens Linear Park
- Tangari New location Woodcroft 27th June 2020
- Thorndon Park map & courses updated 17th March 2022
No experience is necessary.
A colour map with an orienteering course and the course's control descriptions are provided on an A4 page. Instructions are downloadable as well as extra information for schools & group leaders.
The permanent course consists of a number of permanently placed control markers. At each control point is a small orange and white marker. On the marker are a number code and a letter code. The number code is checked off against the control description printed on the orienteering map. The course controls should be visited in the correct order. With the scatter or score they can be visited in any order.
These courses introduce map reading skills, and in particular the features of an orienteering map. A compass is not necessary but may be useful.
Choose from 1 - 5 km courses along tracks & paths (easy navigation) or challenge yourself by trying the moderate or harder courses. Courses will take about 40 - 80 minutes to complete.