Orienteering Adventures with Android & IOS Smartphones
MapRun (version MapRunF and a new released version MapRun6) is a smart phone application offering new options for orienteering. It is available for downlod for both Android and iPhones. A version MapRunG can also be used on some newer Garmin watches that allow other applications to be installed.
MapRun allows the orienteer to load a map and course onto a smartphone and use it for navigating around a course without the need of a paper map. The App also avoids the need for control flags / punch units (or Sportident) to be placed in the field as the GPS device in the smartphone will verify which control sites have been visited, and in what order. At the end of a course MapRunF will display results including splits, total time and a GPS route over the course map. Results can also be uploaded for comparison to other results for the same course.
Watch the video on using mapRunF the newer MapRun6 operates in the same way).
Download the App
The user app for IOS or Android is free.
To load MapRunG to your Garmin watch - refer to this link.
All courses can be completed in your own time and at your own risk. All are in suburban areas so please respect other users, obey traffic rules and take care where road crossing are required.
South Australian courses - No Time Frame - Do Any Time
OSA has set up several course maps for use with MapRun. However all have PDF copies so you can downlaod these and use with MapRunF or just by themselves.
For the locations of all MapRun course see this map.
The courses below are being added to as we plan and test them.
To access these courses, open your MapRun application on your smart phone.
- Choose select event
- Scroll though the list to South Australia
- This document has screen shots to help you navigate to the folder to download a course and start your run.
Set 1 - In Folder "Orienteering SA Adelaide Parklands"
- Adelaide Botanic Gardens C1 - 2.7 km - PDF Map - please respect other users in the gardens
- Adelaide Botanic Gardens C2 - 3.7 km - PDF Map - extends into the adjacent parklands
- East Parklands C1 - 2.8 km - PDF Map - caution - road crossings - this map is currently not fully available due to 2021 Adelaide Fringe events
- South Parklands C1 - 3.1 km - PDF Map - caution - road crossings
- South Parklands C2 - 4.2 km - PDF Map - caution - road crossings
- West Parklands and Cemetery C1 - 3.8 km - PDF Map
- West Parklands C2 - 2.8 km - PDF Map
Set 2 - In Folder "Orienteering SA Belair and Blackwood"
- Belair Adventure 1 - 0.9 km - easy course at the Adventure Playground - PDF Map
- Beliar Adventure 2 - 1.2 km - easy course starting at the Adventure Playground - PDF Map
- Belair Golf Course 1 - 3.8 km - cross country course - moderate navigation - PDF Map
- Belair National Park C1 - 5.1 km - cross country course - moderate navigation - PDF Map
- Wittunga Botanic Gardens C5 - 1.9 km - please respect other park users - PDF Map
- Belair Golf Course - Birdie Loop - designed for MTBO - 2.3 km - PDF Map
- Belair Golf Course - Birdie 2 - 4.5 km - cross country for Foot or MTBO - PDF Map
- Belair Hiking Expo - Long - 3.0 km start near the Main Oval - PDF Map
- Belair Hiking Expo - Tree Course 2.2 km - start near the Main Oval to visit some of the park's interesting trees - PDF Map
- Belair Hiking Expo - Lake Circuit - 1.5 km - start near the Main Oval - PDF Map
Set 3 - In Folder "Orienteering SA Other Adelaide Courses"
The Shepherds Hill courses use a mixture of control sites from the permanent courses and virtual controls - so at some sites you will see a permanent control marker.
- Shepherds Hill C1 - 2.4 km - cross country course - moderate navigation - PDF Map
- Shepherds Hill C2 - 1.8 km - cross country course - moderate navigation - PDF Map
Set 4 - In Folder "Orienteering SA Regional Courses"
- Winkler Park 60 Min Score Course - 21 Controls - PDF Map
A blank map of Winkler Park with some of the map features highlighted is also available for download - Winkler_Park_Trails_Map.pdf
Tips on using MapRunF
- The MapRun User Guide web page
Turn the mobile's 'Auto-rotate screen' off
Turn the mobile's GPS device 'on' before starting MapRunF. It can take a few minutes to get a 'fix'.