Do It Yourself Orienteering
Updated 3rd May 2018
Several permanent orienteering courses, suitable for school groups, families and individuals, have been set up at:
- Belair National Park Start at Adventure Playground
- Belair National Park. Start at Gums Oval
- Hawthorndene Reserve
- Hazelwood Park Burnside
- Fox Creek: Thomas Hill.
- Kuitpo Forest: Christmas Hill updated Jan 2018
- Kuitpo Forest. The Eucalypts
- Kuitpo Forest. Kuitpo Headquarters
- Kuitpo Forest: Woodcutters (restricted to groups who have booked Woodcutter's Cottage or Jack's Paddock) updated Jan 2018
- Melrose. Start at Showgrounds
- Melrose. Start at Notice Board on Main Street opposite Over the Edge Bike Shop
- Mt Crawford Forest. Chalks
- North Adelaide updated 30th March 2018
- Oaklands Wetland new 5th April 2018
- Para Wirra Recreation Park Courses are now available for download. The new courses will be available to use from Sat 5th May 2018 starting from the Helipad Car Park. There will be an open day on Sat 5th May from 10am - 3pm. Free maps (while they last) and assistance being provided by Tintookies Orienteering Club.
- Port Lincoln: Brinkworth Reserve
- St Peter's River Park on the Torrens Linear Park
- Thorndon Park
LOCATION MAP using Google Maps
No experience is necessary.
A colour map with an orienteering course and the course's control descriptions are provided on an A4 page. Instructions are downloadable as well as extra information for schools & group leaders.
The permanent course consists of a number of permanently placed control markers. At each control point is a small orange and white marker. On the marker are a number code and a letter code. The number code is checked off against the control description printed on the orienteering map. The course controls should be visited in the correct order. With the scatter or score they can be visited in any order.
These courses introduce map reading skills, and in particular the features of an orienteering map. A compass is not necessary but may be useful.
Choose from 1 - 5 km courses along tracks & paths (easy navigation) or challenge yourself by trying the moderate or harder courses. Courses will take about 40 - 80 minutes to complete.