Do It Yourself Orienteering
Updated 3rd Aug 2020
When using this and other permanent courses remember that large groups (1-2 is good) are not recommended and that current social distancing rules must be applied.
- LOCATION MAP: see where all the courses are on Google Maps
PLEASE Note: If the above link does not work (iinet customers & associated companies appear to be blocked) then try this instead. In clicking this link you are agreeing to the following conditions:
*I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY OWN SAFETY
* Children: MUST be accompanied by an adult.
* Roads: TAKE CARE crossing roads.
* Water: On hot days it is advisable to drink fluids before, during and after the course.
RESPONSIBILITY: It is a condition of providing these maps & courses that any participants undertaking the activity accept full responsibility. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the contributors to this project (Orienteering SA and affiliated clubs , Adelaide City Council, Campbelltown City Council, District Council of Mt Remarkable, City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters, Town of Walkerville, Dept of Environment & Heritage, Forestry SA, Rotary Club of Morialta, Burnside Council, City of Mitcham, City of Marion, City of Onkaparinga or other Landholders on which maps are located).
*When using maps on ForestrySA land I will report to Forestry Office (if open) to ensure it is safe to enter the area.
* Please look after and help to protect the parks & bushland areas we use. Follow the rules and requirements of landholders.
Several permanent orienteering courses, suitable for schools, families ,pairs and individuals, have been set up at:
- Belair National Park Start at Adventure Playground
- Belair National Park. Start at Gums Oval
- Blue Gum Park/ Kurangga
- Hawthorndene Reserve
- Hazelwood Park Burnside
- Fox Creek: Thomas Hill.closed at present due to Cudlee Creek fires
- Kuitpo Forest: Christmas Hill
- Kuitpo Forest: The Eucalypts
- Kuitpo Forest: Kuitpo Headquarters
- Kuitpo Forest: Woodcutters (restricted to groups who have booked Woodcutter's Cottage, Tinjella Hut or Jack's Paddock)
- Melrose. Start at Showgrounds
- Melrose. Start at Notice Board on Main Street opposite Over the Edge Bike Shop
- Mt Crawford Forest: Chalks
- North Adelaide
- Oaklands Wetland uodated
- Para Wirra Recreation Park. Start at Helipad
- Paringa Paddocks Renmark
- Port Lincoln: Brinkworth Reserve
- Shepherds Hill Recreation Park
- St Peter's River Park on the Torrens Linear Park
- Tangari New location Woodcroft 27th June 2020
- Thorndon Park
No experience is necessary.
A colour map with an orienteering course and the course's control descriptions are provided on an A4 page. Instructions are downloadable as well as extra information for schools & group leaders.
The permanent course consists of a number of permanently placed control markers. At each control point is a small orange and white marker. On the marker are a number code and a letter code. The number code is checked off against the control description printed on the orienteering map. The course controls should be visited in the correct order. With the scatter or score they can be visited in any order.
These courses introduce map reading skills, and in particular the features of an orienteering map. A compass is not necessary but may be useful.
Choose from 1 - 5 km courses along tracks & paths (easy navigation) or challenge yourself by trying the moderate or harder courses. Courses will take about 40 - 80 minutes to complete.