New to Orienteering
Attend an Orienteering Event
Newcomers are welcome to attend the orienteering events listed on the Events Page. The event information lists the location and how to get to the event, date and start times of each event, as well as a contact person if you need more information. You can arrive at the event any time between the listed start times.
All events have a range of orienteering courses, including some suitable for newcomers or less experienced orienteers. Information on orienteering is available to newcomers as well as assistance in getting started.
Do It Yourself Orienteering
A number of introductory orienteering courses are available which you can do at any time. More more details see the DIY Orienteering Page
What do you need?
- You will need to wear comfortable walking shoes or joggers.
- For street-park events, lightweight clothing or running gear.
- For cross-country events, long pants or gaiters to provide leg protections.
- Bring a water bottle which you can carry although water stops are provided on longer courses.
- Hat and sunscreen in the sunny weather or a raincoat on wet days.
- A compass if you have one although these are available for loan at events.
Orienteering activities can also be provided for groups such as
- schools and other junior groups (see the Coaching & Training menu)
Joining a Club or Registering as a Casual Orienteer
For information about the benefits of membership and help with how to go about it go to our membership page which can be found on our membership page at About Orienteering -> Join Now